Description
LEE COUNTY, Ga. (WALB) - A grand jury delivered an 89-count indictment that included new charges against a man who allegedly opened fire near a Black family gathering in Lee County earlier this year.
The indictment, returned by Lee County grand jurors on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026, adds 19 counts of child cruelty in the second degree against Jeffery Kinzer. Those charges are due to the presence of juveniles during the alleged gunfire. The new charges are in addition to 35 counts of aggravated assault and 35 counts of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony.
In July, Kinzer appeared before a Lee County magistrate judge who set his bond at $250,000. At that time, Kinzer was charged with 60 total counts that included aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime charges.
Kinzer bonded out of jail on July 14 following his arraignment on those 60 combined charges.
The Lee County Clerk of Court’s Office told WALB an arraignment hearing has not been set for Kinzer on the new counts added against him following this week’s grand jury indictment.
As a condition of bond, Kinzer was banned from living in Lee and Dougherty Counties where the alleged victims live and work.
Kinzer is accused of shouting racial slurs at a family gathering at a home on Autumn Leaf Drive in Lee County on June 7, 2026. Witnesses told investigators Kinzer returned to the home later that evening dressed in body armor and fired an AR-15 style rifle outside of their home.
According to the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, Kinzer was injured after being shot by a family member in return fire.
Kinzer is being represented by the Albany law firm Brimberry, Kaplan & Brimberry.
Have a news tip or see an error that needs correction? Let us know. Please include the article’s headline in your message.
To stay up to date on all the latest news as it develops, follow WALB on Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, and X. For more south Georgia news, download the WALB News app and add WALB as a preferred source on Google.
Copyright 2026 WALB. All rights reserved.
News Source : https://www.walb.com/2026/08/21/lee-co-man-faces-29-additional-counts-alleged-racially-charged-shooting/
Other Related News
08/21/2026
WASHINGTON AP Chief Justice John Roberts on Friday allowed the White House to continue co...
08/21/2026
BATON ROUGE La WAFBGray News Doctors have used GLP-1 drugs for weight loss for about five...
08/21/2026
LOWNDES COUNTY Ga WALB - The Lowndes County Board of Commissioners will consider a propose...
08/21/2026
WALB is working to produce a video for this story In the meantime we encourage you to watc...
08/21/2026
